By 1899, Goulburn had formed the Federal Capital Committee to push for Goulburn to become the national capital. The site of the future capital had to be at least 100 miles from Sydney and Melbourne and needed a substantial water supply. It was argued that Goulburn had the Wollondilly which had suitable sites for dams such as “a site at Pejar and a site at the junction of Kialla and Middle Creeks near Butler’s Hill.” (Goulburn Herald, 14 August 1901.)
The main site proposed was the area east and south of the Mulwaree Ponds at Fitzroy Bridge, but the Kingsdale area and even the City of Goulburn itself were suggested. The Bungendore Progress Association was also pushing claims for a capital site.
To further its own case, in September 1901 the Goulburn Federal Capital Committee offered the Goulburn Court House as a temporary parliament house, and other buildings, such as the Post Office and the Mechanics Institute, to accommodate various departments. The offer did not go down well with other contenders for the capital site but the Goulburn committee argued that it was known that the Court House was beyond the needs of Goulburn’s current population of 11,000. Nevertheless, as history shows, the committee failed in its desire to become the capital
Image: Goulburn Court House 2007. Photograph by Jennifer Lamb