IN 1832, the NSW Governor Sir Richard Bourke visited the town of Goulburn Plains. He opposed the chosen site at the junction of the two rivers because of the low lying land and frequent floodings. He selected a site on higher ground to the south west and ordered that a new town be laid out there. The new town was laid out in 1833 by Surveyor Hoddle.
Image: “Local sketch [at the town of Goulburn]” c 1840. Sourced from National Library of Australia, Ferguson Collection.