On 1 October 1829, Governor Darling officially established the township of Goulburn Plains. In 1828, the Assistant Surveyor Robert Dixon had drawn the plan of the town at the confluence of the of the Goulburn and Mulwaree Rivers. Lorne was proposed as the name for the township, but that was overruled.
Image of the plan from the Collection of the State Archives of NSW (provided by Tom Bryant)
Photograph of the confluence of the Mulwaree and Wollondilly Rivers taken by Jennifer Lamb, 2019