Info Panel
0100s

Goulburn 2020

Visit our events page for more information about individual events in the region.  

Read More →

120,000-50,000 Years Ago

120,000 – 50,000 years ago At Weereewaa (Lake George) sometime between 120,000 and 50,000 years ago there was a marked increase in charcoal remains in the sediment of the lake …

Read More →
1770s

Before 1788

Before 1788 From sometime long before 1788, local places were being named – Tallawoo (Tallong/Wingello area), Moorooaulin (Marulan), Bungonia, Caarne (vicinity of South Marulan), Wallandilli (River and the vicinity of …

Read More →
1790s

1798

1798 On 22 March, John Wilson and scribe John Price reached the vicinity of Marulan (Moorooaulin).  The next day (23 March) they travelled to present day Mt Towrang (vicinity of …

Read More →
1810s

1818

1818 – Meehan and Throsby at Moorooaulin (Marulan) and Meehan at Bungonia, Windellama, Bundong (Lake Bathurst) and Mulwaree Seeking to find a route to Jervis Bay across the Shoalhaven River, …

Read More →

1819

1819 Arthursleigh (Wallandilli), Cookbundoon, Taralga, Burra Burra Lake Seeking a southern route to Bathurst – to avoid the arduous Blue Mountains route – Charles Throsby, guided by the Aboriginal men …

Read More →
1820s

1820 Crookwell

1820 Woodhouselee, Crookwell district, Grabben Gullen Seeking a road route to Bathurst, James Meehan with James Charker, Joseph Wild and James Vaughan was at Wallandilli (Arthursleigh) on 20 April.  They …

Read More →

1820 Weereewaa

Weereewaa (Lake George) Joseph Wild, servant of Charles Throsby and maker of the road over the Cookbundoon to Bathurst, was sent by Throsby to find Weereewaa which he had been …

Read More →

October 1820 Gov. Macquarie’s Journey through Goulburn Plains

1820 – 16 October-6 November  (Parramatta/Weereewaa return) Governor Lachlan Macquarie: Journey to the Western and Southern Countries (Wallandilli-Cookbundoon-Mulwaree-Bundong-Weereewaa) 20 October Macquarie, with a large entourage (including Charles Throsby, Rev Cartwright …

Read More →

1820 First Christian Service

The Rev. Robert Cartwright was one of the pioneer Christian clergy in what is now the Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn. He was born in Shropshire in 1771 and arrived …

Read More →

1820 Cattle and sheep arrive

On returning to Sydney after his journey through the Mulwaree/Goulburn Plains, Governor Macquarie on 25 November 1820 gave permission for cattle and sheep to be pastured between Bargo Brush and …

Read More →

1825 Strathallan settled in Goulburn Plains

In 1825 Strathallan was established and is believed to be the first recorded colonial settlement in the Goulburn Plains.  It was on the present site of the Goulburn Police Academy.

Read More →

1820s land grants Goulburn district

The land around what became Goulburn was quickly given away in substantial grants: Norwood in 1825 to W Lithgow; Rossiville to F Rosssi in 1826; Brisbane Grove to John Walker …

Read More →

1829 Establishment of the Township of the Goulburn Plains

On 1 October 1829, Governor Darling officially established the township of Goulburn Plains.  In 1828, the Assistant Surveyor Robert Dixon had drawn the plan of the town at the confluence …

Read More →
1830s

1833 Relocation of the Township

IN 1832, the NSW Governor Sir Richard Bourke visited the town of Goulburn Plains.  He opposed the chosen site at the junction of the two rivers because of the low …

Read More →
1850s

1855 Cobb and Co in Goulburn

Goulburn became a change station for Cobb & Co in 1855 – meaning it was a place where horses were changed

Read More →
1860s

1863 Proclamation of the City of Goulburn

Goulburn was proclaimed a city through Letters patent by Queen Victoria in 1863.  Goulburn thus became the first inland city in Australia. The image of Goulburn’s St Saviour’s Cathedral reflects …

Read More →

1866 Goulburn Pumping Station

The Goulburn Pumping Station on the Wollondilly River was opened in 1866 to supply water for the municipality of Goulburn.  It was built from 1885-1866 and includes the historic Appleby …

Read More →
1880s

1881 Goulburn Post and Telegraph Office

The Goulburn Post and Telegraph Office opened at 165 Auburn Street in 1881.  It was designed by Colonial Archtiect James Barnett and built in 1880-81 by F Horn. Image – …

Read More →

1887 Goulburn Court House

Designed by the colonial Architect James Barnett, the Goulburn Court House was officially opened on 14 October 1887, and has continued in use since then. In its heritage listing for …

Read More →
1890s

1891 Goulburn Liedertafel Society

The Goulburn Liedertafel Society was established in 1891 and continues to exist as the Lieder Theatre Company; it is the longest running theatre company in Australia.  It began as a …

Read More →

1899 Goulburn seeks to become the Federal Capital

By 1899, Goulburn had formed the Federal Capital Committee to push for Goulburn to become the national capital.  The site of the future capital had to be at least 100 …

Read More →
1900s

1901 Goulburn Branch of Women’s Suffrage League formed

The first branch of the Women’s Suffrage League in regional Australia was established in Goulburn on 2 November 1901.  Its establishment resulted from the energy of an enthusiastic group of …

Read More →

1901 Publication of ‘My Brilliant Career’ by Miles Franklin

Miles Franklin (Stella Maria Sarah Miles Franklin) wrote ‘My Brilliant Career’ while living on her family’s dairy farm, Stillwater, at Thornford (between Goulburn and Collector) in 1898.  The novel was …

Read More →
1930s

1935 Unveiling of monument to first Christian service in the region

Bishop Ernest Burgmann dedicating the cross near Lake Bathurst, 30 November 1935 On Sunday 29 November 1820 Governor Lachlan Macquarie and a party of officials and helpers camped beside Lake …

Read More →